DIY | Prepping for Christmas Crafts

Last year I had so many grand intentions of filling the Christmas season with adorable crafts for my kiddos that I found on Pinterest. I think I maybe did 20% of what I wanted to do.

The main reason we didn't we didn't get around to all those crafts: In the day to day of raising toddlers I don't have time to whisk away for 20 minutes to do all the prep involved for a craft or we had time for the craft but didn't have all the supplies on hand.

This year I was determined to relish in the season's craftiness so I started early and prepped a "Christmas Craft Station".


I think part of the ambition came from my newfound role as a Kindergarten teacher. (If you know me you know that I'm wired as a junior high teacher and wouldn't survive a week as a K teacher but shockingly when you decide to homeschool you all of the sudden become a Kindergarten teacher!) 

I started by scouring Pinterest for the crafts I wanted to take on that were somewhat age appropriate for my kids. (I'll share that list at the end). 

For each craft I listed the materials that I would need.

Then I started prepping packets. If I needed little squares of felt cut for a mini wreath, I cut a hundred little felt squares and stuck them with a pipe cleaner in the envelope. 



Paper chain craft? I cut a few dozen paper strips ready for little fingers to glue into chain links.



It took me at least a week of sporadically adding to my craft bin. I wrote out what each craft was on the envelope.

Now, when we're in the midst of our school time and it's time for a Christmas craft I can just grab an envelope from the bin that I feel most suites their moods and we can craft. It's so easy! No running around the house gathering supplies or wondering where the heck the tall one put those light bulbs I was saving for glitter snowmen! It's fabulous!


Here are the littles working on their Rudolph Paper Bag Puppets


I pre-cut the girl one's shapes but just drew them out for the boy one (all ahead of time so I could help them during the craft!) and he cut out his shapes. Cutting is his favourite.



So cute. The bells are a must :)


Puppet show!




Mini Felt wreaths. This one is going to take a few sittings.






It can also double as an awesome bracelet.



We are loving our Christmas Craft Station and can't wait to try all the crafts in it!


Here is my craft list so far with links :)

Green paper, red bow, green paint


2) Photo Snow Globe
(I bought plastic snow globes at Hobby Lobby where you can add your picture.)

blue paper, marshmallows (mini), white paint


cardboard circles, embroidery thread


green paper, multi coloured tissue paper, glue


2 paper plates, ziploc bag, glitter, hole punched paper dots, markers


paper cutter, scrapbook paper


8) Bottle Cap Snowman (link to pin as I couldn't find the actual post)
bottle caps, white paint, ribbon


glitter, spray adhesive, twine, black beads, glitter


coffee filters, scissors


cornstarch, baking soda, water, cookie cutters


icing, waffle cones, candy


green felt, brown felt, buttons, glue


glitter, ornament, jar, super glue

15) Rudolph Paper Bag Puppet
paper bags, red pom pom, mini jingle bells, paper 

strips of scrapbook paper, glue


This is my list so far and I keep adding. If you want to check out my current inspiration you can check out my "Most Wonderful Time of the Year" Pinterest board!



Comments

Popular Posts